Sunday 19 July 2015

Hash Specialty Coffee & Roasters - Leek and Cheddar Croquettes


I finally got tired of having a bad hair day (month!!) so I decided to get my hair coloured and dyed over this weekend. My hair salon is just around the corner from Hardware Street in the city, a stone's throw away from the renowned Hardware Societe and popular Korean diner - CJ Lunch Bar.

I was tempted to visit Hardware Societe since I was alone and it would possibly be easier to get a seat. I turned the corner and saw the queue for Hardware Societe spilling over on the cobblestone pathway on Hardware Street and I was like nah forget it, I marched on to the other end for Hash Specialty Coffee & Roasters which I've been wanting to try.

Hash was packed with people but surprisingly there wasn't a queue. I was delighted to get a seat immediately. The menu was really aligned to my food preferences, very hearty brunch food - I was torn between the bacon with smashed avo and peas and the leek and cheddar croquettes and ham hock. Both sounded awesome but I decided on the latter and the croquettes were really tasty, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. The cavolo nero added a nice earthiness and the ham hock worked well with the delightfully smooth and creamy cauliflower puree. I didn't know what to expect from the turmeric egg but it turned out to be surprisingly flavoursome. Overall, a well composed dish!


A photo posted by saccha (@sacchaeats) on

I realised that as there are so many cafes in Melbourne that it is impossible to stand out without a so-called signature dish. It's like how everyone goes to Top Paddock for its Ricotta Hotcakes and Fifty Acres for its Scotch Eggs. Here at Hash - it would be the Hash Hot Chocolate served with fairy floss. Check out the Instagram videos - you just can't help watching how the fairy floss dissolves into the hot chocolate. Almost every table orders this novelty Hash hot chocolate, it's a must try at least once!

I'll definitely come back to Hash to try the other yummy menu items - anyone care to join me?! :P

Address: 113 Hardware St Melbourne VIC 3000

No comments:

Post a Comment